Bucket hats are versatile and trendy accessories that can add some flair to your outfits. Whether you want to channel your inner 90s nostalgia or experiment with different colors and textures, there is a bucket hat for every occasion. In this article, we will show you some tips and tricks on how to wear a bucket hat with style and confidence.
What is a Bucket Hat?
A bucket hat is a type of hat that has a wide, downward-slanting brim and a flat top. It was originally worn by fishermen and farmers in Ireland to protect them from the rain, but it became popular in the 1980s and 1990s as a part of streetwear and hip-hop culture. Today, bucket hats are still a fashionable choice for men and women who want to spice up their casual outfits.
How to Choose a Bucket Hat
When choosing a bucket hat, there are some factors to consider, such as:
- The size: You want your bucket hat to fit snugly on your head, but not too tight that it leaves marks on your forehead or causes headaches. You can measure your head circumference and compare it with the hat size chart you want to buy. Alternatively, you can try on different hats until you find one comfortable.
- The color: You can choose a bucket hat that matches your style and preference. Neutral colors like black, white, navy, or khaki are versatile and easy to match. Bright colors like yellow, pink, or green are statement-making and contrast-adding. Tie-dye or patterned bucket hats are fun and personality-expressing.
- The material: You can choose a bucket hat that suits the season and the weather. For example, you can choose a cotton or linen bucket hat for summer, as they are lightweight and breathable. You can choose a wool or fleece bucket hat for winter, as they are warm and cozy. You can also choose a waterproof or water-resistant bucket hat for rainy days, as they will keep your head dry.
How to Style a Bucket Hat
There are many ways to style a bucket hat, depending on the occasion, the outfit, and the mood. Here are some examples of how to wear a bucket hat for different situations:
- For a casual look: You can wear a bucket hat with any casual outfit, such as jeans and a T-shirt, shorts and a tank top, or a dress and sneakers. You can choose a bucket hat that matches the color scheme of your outfit or one that stands out with a different hue or texture. You can also play with the brim of your hat by flipping it up or down for different effects.
- For a streetwear look: Bucket hats pair well with streetwear staples like oversized jackets, hoodies, sweatpants, or joggers. Pick a hat that matches your outfit’s vibe, such as black or navy for sleek and cool or bright or tie-dye for funky and colorful. You can also accessorize your bucket hat with sunglasses, earrings, or chains for some extra edge.
- For a retro look: Bucket hats go well with vintage clothes like denim, corduroy, flannel, or floral. Pick a hat that matches the era of your outfit, such as corduroy or plaid for the 70s or acid-wash or neon for the 80s. You can also add some retro accessories like scrunchies, chokers, or fanny packs to complete your look.
How to Store Your Bucket Hat
To keep your bucket hat in good condition and extend its lifespan, you should follow some basic care tips:
- Read the label: Before washing your bucket hat, you should read the label carefully and follow the instructions. Some materials may require hand washing or dry cleaning, while others may be machine washable. Use mild detergent and cold water to avoid shrinking or fading your hat.
- Dry your hat properly: After washing your bucket hat, you should dry it thoroughly before storing it. You can either air dry it on a flat surface or use a dryer on a low setting. However, do not wring or twist your hat, as this can damage its shape. You can also use a hair dryer to fluff up your hat if it has lost some volume. Moreover, you can use a hat shaper or a head form to help your hat retain its shape while drying.
- Store your hat in a box or container: A box or container with a lid is the best way to store your bucket hat. This will protect your hat from dust, moisture, and insects. Alternatively, you can also store your hat in a dryer bag or a vacuum cleaner bag. If you are not able to store your hat in any of these ways, you can also fold it. To do this, place the hat on a flat surface and fold it in half. Then, fold it in half again. However, make sure that the hat is completely dry before folding it, and do not fold it if it is wet.
Bucket hats are versatile and trendy accessories that can add some flair to your outfits. Bucket hats are versatile and stylish accessories for any occasion. This article has given you some tips on how to style them with flair. We have also shown you how to choose, care for, and store your bucket hat properly. We hope you have enjoyed this article and learned something new about bucket hats.